Temporary Events

Carson City – Douglas County Regional Health Partnership oversees and regulates all food preparation and food services provided at temporary events and mass gatherings within the counties. “Food” means any food, drink, confection or beverage, or any component in the preparation or manufacture thereof, intended for ultimate human consumption, storage, preparation or manufacturing, display, offering for sale, sampling or for service. This does not include prepackaged food and drinks.

All entities wishing to conduct food preparation activities must have a valid permit to operate as a “Temporary Food Establishment”.  A Temporary Food Permit must be applied for and approved prior to the proposed event.   Restaurants and food operations with a current Health Permit must apply for any food service operations not conducted within their normal scope of business or location. All bars utilizing ice for consumption or serving mixed drinks are required to obtain a Temporary Health Permit for each portable bar.

A “Temporary Food Establishment” is defined as a food establishment that operates for a period of not more than fourteen (14) calendar days in conjunction with a single special event. A temporary food establishment may only be operated at a fair, carnival, circus, public exhibition, celebration or similar transitory gathering.

An application for a permit to operate a temporary food establishment must include the dates of the proposed operation in addition to the other requirements of NAC 446.(TEMP) A permit for a temporary food establishment will be valid for the specific time period of the operation. All vendors seeking a temporary health permit must submit an application for a temporary health permit to the Carson City Health & Human Services office at least 5 business days before the date of operation. All fees (listed below) must be paid prior to application review and approval to operate. Late fees will be assessed on all applications received less than 5 working days prior to the event.

A “Temporary Food Establishment” wishing to prepare or serve potentially hazardous foods (time/temperature control for safety foods) must prepare and serve these foods in the same day and must not save for service on any following day.  These foods must be prepared and served onsite unless prior approval has been given by the health authority for offsite food preparation. All potentially hazardous foods prepared offsite must be done so at a permitted and approved food establishment. Food that is prepared or stored in a private home shall not be served at a temporary event in this jurisdiction.

Proposed menus and offerings must be submitted with the Temporary Food Permit to ensure that all foods will be approved for preparation and service on site.

Exemptions for foods allowable without a Temporary Food Permit may be found here.

Carson City

Carnivals and Amusement Rides

No person shall operate a carnival or amusement ride without a certificate of inspection issued for the current year or not more than one year prior to its proposed operation in Carson City.   

The owner(s) or operator(s) of a carnival or amusement ride, circus or tent show shall sign an indemnification agreement prior to operation and submitted to the health authority.  

The owner(s) or operator(s) of a carnival, tent show, circus or amusement ride, device or concession shall provide proof of insurance, in the form of a certificate of insurance prior to the start of operations, with carriers satisfactory to the city with minimum limits of one million dollars ($1,000,000.00) per occurrence for bodily injury liability, and one million dollars ($1,000,000.00) each occurrence for property damage liability. Forms of coverage will include, but are not limited to:

1.Premises and operations.

2.Products-completed operations.

3.Acts of independent contractors.

4.Hired and nonowned automobiles. 

For more information please refer to Carson City Municipal Code Chapter 9.10

Carson City Fees 

*Non-profit organizations that operate in Carson City, which provide a non-profit tax ID# are not charged Event Fees.

*Late fees will be assessed on all late applications.

Event Duration

Event Fee

Late Fee
1 Day



2-7 Days



8-14 Days



Farmer’s Market




Douglas County

Douglas County Fees 

For a temporary food establishment, per unit……………………………………………                $50.00
     For a temporary food establishment which is operated by a religious, charitable or other nonprofit organization if the sale of food from the establishment occurs off the premises of the organization, per unit…….                $25.00

Click here to view the full Douglas County Health Permits and Plan Review Fee Schedule!